Sunday, January 17, 2016

The Mailman Family of Danforth Maine

So I thought that I would start by posting about my family first just as a launching point. I have to begin somewhere, why not where I am the most familiar. So just some background, I started working on my family tree when I was in college in 2004 because of an assignment in Anthropology class. I was supposed to go back four generations but ended up going back much further than that. What I did find was very interesting.

The Mailman's of Danforth can trace their way back to Canada to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Mostly Annapolis County, Nova Scotia. The name Mailman morphed from the German name Mehlman. I am not sure why, I have read some speculation, but I do not want to publish that until I can get some more factual information. The Mehlman's hailed from an area in Germany known as the Palatinate. They left for Nova Scotia at the bidding of the English Government in order to escape the religious persecution that they face for being protestants.


Archie Mailman married a lady in Danforth, Maine, by the name of Zella Spinney. We can trace the Spinney's back to the Golding's and if you follow this line you meet some interesting people. Like Rebecca Nurse (B. Feb 21, 1621 - D. Jul 19, 1692) being my 14th Great Grandmother. Who is Rebecca Nurse? Well she was executed in Salem Mass, for being a witch after she was falsely accused by two young girls.  Her house still stands today as a museum. The 1996 film "The Crucible", staring Elizabeth Lawrence, is based on her.


Not to mention the Golding's go back to Stephen Golding of Gagetown, New Brunswick. He is known for being a loyalist during the Revolutionary War and helping the British at the Battle of Ticonderoga. There is in fact a display dedicated to him at a museum there in Gagetown.

This line of Goldings track back via parentage of Joseph, Thomas, Ephraim, Percival Jr, Percival Sr, Arthur and a long line of Goldings extending to approximately 1360. This line can be traced by back, thru marriage, to William the Conqueror. When I first traced this back I was pretty excited. That is until I read an article that said that about 25% of people of English decent can trace their lineage back to William the Conqueror. So really, not that uncommon. 

I will update this more at a later date, with more in depth and specific information.
Any questions, thoughts, information that you may have can be commented on here or emailed to me directly at mailman9394@gmail.com Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment